Thursday, February 10, 2011

My weekend museum adventures in the city: indulging the curiosity of my inner child...

One of the many beautiful statues adorning the Brooklyn Museum

Growing up in the mountains of Colorado, sequestered away in a tiny town, I always dreamt of taking off on spontaneous adventures to far off places and seeing exotic and beautiful lands and people yet undiscovered. Although the San Juan mountains were beautiful, they acted as a barrier between me and the world outside. In my imagination, I would fly up over the snow-capped peaks to worlds beyond my own grasp and comprehension. My weekends were often occupied by bicycle excursions in the wild adobe hills or the alleyways of the town, but more often than not, my end destination would be the small public library I affectionately revered as my tangible portal to the places and things on the outside of the scope of the Rockies. I would find piles of books about art, history, fairy stories and travel to wonderful places. The stern and humorless librarian, Rosalie, who seemed to hate all living things - especially children, took a strange liking to me and she would tell me new subjects to explore or even hold new books for me as they came in. During my nerdy Saturdays of youth, while my peers were playing baseball or having slumber parties, I was immersed in the alternate reality of dusty books, socializing with misanthropic librarians and perpetuating my budding eccentricities...

Now that I live in New York City, there is no shortage of imagination-inspiring curiosities and/or world view-broadening places to see. As a sort of New Year's Resolution, I decided two things; I really need to start taking more photographs and I have to do all I can to take advantage of living in this city - I owe it to the dorky small town child inside of me. As a means to satisfy both desires, I have begun planning little weekend "adventures," mostly focused on museums or historical sites where I can feed my hungers for my childhood love of exploration and brain-filling afternoons spent around ideas and artifacts from the past while having many subjects to photograph. Rather than the outdated books and magazines that somehow made their way into rural Colorado, I now have the privilege of seeing concrete and attainable pieces of the vast world which occupied my youthful daydreams. Even in college, earning my second undergraduate degree in Art History, the closest I could be to the things I so dearly loved were the slides projected onto cold and empty walls in darkened classrooms, like phantoms, so far from anything physical or "real." Now a sampling of anything existent in the entire world is just a subway or bus ride away.

Over the past four weekends, I've made it a point to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one my favorite places in the world), the American Museum of Natural History, The Cloisters Museum, El Museo del Barrio and the Brooklyn Museum, as well as the neighborhoods around these wonderful places while documenting points of interest with my camera. New Yorkers, overall, seem to have a stigma when it comes to going any place where there may be an abundance of tourists, especially to take photographs and appear to be a tourist like the other "riff raff" infesting the pristine utopia of our urban habitat. I do, so badly, want to one day be worthy of being considered a real "New Yorker," but I know I still am in my "training wheels" phase and have a very long way to go. Since I am still quite a rookie, I figure it's reasonable to indulge in childish fancies and idiotically bring my camera to the sacred and hollowed ground of these wonderful places and look at everything as if it were a moment to be captured for future use. Being a tourist in my own new home has been an addictive and wonderful thing. I want to see and know every corner of the place. I want to have it all imprinted within me. I want to feel my footprint on the pulse of each street and feel like the city knows me as well as I may one day know her.

Erring on the side of childish geekdom, I would love to say eventually that one day I've seen every museum in the city, but as there is no conclusive or agreed upon figure for how many "true" museums there are within the five burrows, it makes seeing all of them a rather subjective goal. The various declarations are that between 70-200+ museums exist in New York, but the definition of the word museum, I have found, varies quite curiously depending upon who one may ask. The town in which I was raised had one museum, dedicated to the local Native American group that had been mostly forced out and ostracized from the area over a period of prolonged struggles and hardships and scattered about in reservations. To see such an abundance of institutions dedicated to the triumphs of human progress and achievements in one place, rather than a necessary and important, but quite grim reminder of human tragedy, is a tremendous thing. Overall, during my time in the city, I've been to a dozen or so of these museums, but now I'm on a mission to to see them all.

I will continue my quest for experience and knowledge indefinitely among the museums of New York. I will also continue my photographic exploits, as well, to connect with my inner tourist. Most of all, I will prove to the anti-social child I once was, that the anti-social adult I've become still understands. I wish that I could somehow find Rosalie, the people-hating librarian of my youth, and thank her for all she un-knowingly did for me. Rosalie, wherever you are, this one's for you...


A Small Sampling of my Photographic Experiments:

Tiny dancers by Degas at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Butterflies at the American Museum of Natural History
Outdoor courtyard garden, frozen for the winter,  at the Cloisters Museum
Neo-Classical sculpture at the Brooklyn Museum
On my way home one evening, I stopped in Battery Park to see the sunset, and look who I found...


1 comment:

  1. An inspiring post for those of us who are not getting out and fulfilling our dreams of discovery and adventure. Thanks Forrest. Keep being a tourist - it is a good example of 'Beginner's Mind' that keeps the world fresh and more accurately perceived.

    ReplyDelete