Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dating and Other Natural Disasters...

A happy couple I saw one evening on the Subway


When I was 19 years old, a young art student with long beautiful locks of hair (golden like the sun, I might add), I received one of the best pieces of advice that I have ever come across. I was casually seeing someone in some undefined artsy bohemian co-mingling of lives who I felt was way out of my league. He was a very well educated, well groomed and well built man who took me out for Tempeh burgers one evening (back in my Vegetarian years) at this little hippie café decorated in macramé just off the university campus, and in my wild naïveté, I was smitten. I couldn't understand why such a dreamy guy would ever have any interest in an awkward, skinny little ne'er-do-well like me, but he did. This was in my younger, more unsophisticated days - before I had blossomed into the wildly saucy and vivacious individual that I have now become, and I was often perplexed that he enjoyed my company as he did. One night, in a lavish moment of brutal self awareness (or perhaps just graceless angst), I asked him what my appeal was to him. I wondered if I was part of some social experiment he was conducting, or if he genuinely found me attractive. I will also point out that he was a bit older than me, and perhaps wiser, and he responded to me saying, "we all have a target audience, and it's just a matter of finding it..."

To look at me, you wouldn't assume I'm a person who gets out very often, much less on dates, but it's just not true. Although throughout my teens and early twenties, I was a perpetual loner aside from a few rare blips on the radar (one blip lasting for two whole years), when I arrived in New York, I found myself in a new world. It could be just the vastness of the population and the unfathomable variety of people from every situation imaginable that have all been crammed together in this one little space, but suddenly my "target audience" seemed to have expanded. Before I knew it, I was going on dates and meeting new people at a pace that I had never before thought was possible (I realized this is what life must be like for pretty people in the normal world outside of the city, only I am neither conventionally pretty nor very normal). For the first time in my life, I was five feet and six inches of "Grade A" eligible dork, and people other than me were noticing. I went through some sort of brief re-adolescence, only this time without curfews or watchful eyes noting my every movement until after about two months I realized what a drag dating actually can be.

After a while, I feel like meeting new people is very similar to going on endless job interviews. You both show up on your best behavior, generally dressed nicer than you would typically care to be, putting on a very one-sided show, selling an image of  yourself that is far from accurate. You both tell bits of a memorized and overly rehearsed monologue highlighting a very brief summary of your general life story, one which you've told before and will probably tell again. Just like a job interview, you can often tell within the first five minutes that the position is really not right for you, and then you spend the rest of your time making polite small talk, forcing a smile of courteous interest and hoping that you'll make it through without breaking character and revealing your true and dismal feelings about the situation as a whole. At least half of the time, one or both of the members of the party feels this way. The worst is when it's not you, and you're actually buying the act the other is putting on.

Although I feel lame for admitting this, I mostly date online. I've never been good at talking to new people at bars or in social gatherings. I believe the last time I was set up on a date by a friend, I seriously contemplated leaning too close to the candle on the table, just so I could "accidentally" catch on fire and have a reason to leave. At least with online dating, you can weed out the folks who list interests like World of Warcraft, Romantic Comedies or the Republican Party on their profiles. You can politely judge them from any number rubrics (I often choose written grammar and photographic lighting to start), and then fill in the gaps of what isn't said with your own imagined version of who this person may be outside of their collection of words, pictures and categorical taxonomies. Even with my very skeptical eye, and my overly cynical imagination, I sometimes make complete misjudgments and realize that I've stepped in something worse than dog mess on the sidewalk. Some folks are really more photogenic than they ought to be, and some must have aspiring fiction novelists writing their online profiles. I try not focus too much attention on appearances, remembering the Sunday School lessons of youth like "Judge not, lest ye be judged" (and I probably "be judged" quite a great deal as it is under that adage), but there is a big difference between saying you're 37 and actually being 50, or showing an image from before you discovered the extra 63 pounds that found their way around your belly. If one has obviously lied about such noticeable things, how can one be trusted about anything important? I'm not actually expecting a response to that question, but I feel there is a difference between leaving out things like your dislike of children or your secret collection of Friends DVD's (both of which I'm guilty of), as opposed to fabricating a completely artificial person who doesn't really exist. I'd much rather be disappointed by "the real you," than a psychotic delusion.

I have been fortunate enough to meet some very dear people and I've even made some great friends as a result of my delayed foray into the world of dating, but ultimately, I go on a lot of first dates that are left at just that. Some people have had potential, and some I genuinely liked, but often the stars just don't align themselves as one's romantic heart would hope. For being such a misanthrope, I am always surprised at my drive to meet new people and see what is out there. I know that I'm no easy pill to swallow - I'm often too harsh, too critical and too eccentric for my own good, but the irrational thought of finding someone to share all of my rantings with who may even show me new things to over-analyze is a pleasant little brain morsel that occupies the realm of demi-thoughts that occur somewhere between sleep and wakefulness. I just need to keep on burning through that "target audience" of mine I know now is out there until I am either satisfied that I've exhausted my supply, or I've finally found what I didn't even know I was looking for to begin with.

1 comment:

  1. jus stumbld upon ur blog while searchin Google for people who came to NY wit a dollar and dream. i hope u make it big soon. ur photog wrk is amazin and im comin to NY wit the same things nxt month. God have mercy on us lol

    ReplyDelete